Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"The Whale and the Maiden"

Image size 5" x 5", Mat size 11" x 14"
A new technique I am learning from my fun friend Margarette Mills (also known as Pillow Lady). This is a "pouring". The technique is typically done at the beach in the surf. But, we are improvising and trying a large container filled with sand. The paper is placed in the water and then pulled out of the container with the sand... watercolors are poured onto the paper and manipulated by the artist. The paper is then left to dry. Once dry, the sand is brushed off. Some very cool patterns become evident. Margarette is a pro! I actually see more in the image now than I did before I took the photo. What do you see?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lee, this is really cool. It would be an awesome piece of art for a bathroom or sunroom!